If you take medication for high blood pressure (BP), we recommend monitoring your blood pressure at least a few times per week.
To monitor your BP using an automatic blood pressure monitor follow these steps:
- Find a comfortable place to sit quietly for 3-5 minutes
- Place both feet flat on the floor and rest your arm on a tabletop or arm rest so it is even with your heart. Stretch out your arm, palm upward.
- Place the cuff on your bare upper arm, about one inch above the crease in your elbow. Make sure the tubing falls over the front center of your arm so that the sensor is correctly placed.
- Secure the cuff around your arm so that you can only slip two fingertips under the top edge of the cuff. Make sure your skin doesn’t pinch when the cuff inflates.
- Press start and remain still and quiet as the machine begins measuring. The cuff will inflate, then slowly deflate while the machine takes your measurement. When the reading is complete, the monitor will display your blood pressure on the digital panel.
- Record the reading in your daily check-ins in the app.