If you have type 2 diabetes we recommend monitoring your fasting blood glucose daily. A glucose level is considered fasting if it’s been at least 8 hours since you had anything to eat or drink (besides water). The best time to check fasting blood glucose is first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast.
Follow these steps to use a blood glucose meter:
- After washing your hands, insert a test strip into your meter.
- Use your lancing device on the side of your fingertip to get a drop of blood.
- Touch and hold the edge of the test strip to the drop of blood and wait for the result.
- Your blood glucose level will appear on the meter’s display.
- Enter the value into your daily check-ins in the app.